About Me

My photo
I was born in California and spent 7 of the first 10 years of my life moving all over the world because my dad was in the military (including Indiana, Virginia, and Italy). We moved back to California when I was 10. I went to college at Pepperdine University (Public Relations/Marketing major) and worked in LA for nearly 10 years before moving to Ft. Worth, TX in 2009. Right after college I worked in the movie business and for the last 7 years have been working in aerospace (first in finance, now program management). I just recently completed an MBA program at the University of Texas at Arlington. I have a 2-year-old puppy named Matty (lab/husky mix), who helped inspire this blog - read the "Naming the Blog" post. She is the definition of unconditional love!

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Here's to Another Year!


Baseball season is coming to an end but finally…I’m BACK! I wish I could write this blog after every game (and get paid for it) – but I’m not sure I have the energy or creativity! So, first I’ll recap the end of my trip last August and then I’ll provide a few other highlights from the end of the 2011 season.

A game of inches
The last game on my 2nd Annual Baseball Stadium Tour (2011) was at my (now) beloved Yankee Stadium – I was a real pro – it was my second time visiting “Mecca”! One of my best friends in the entire world spent the day with me on Tuesday, August 23rd. We went shopping, had some authentic Italian pizza at Lombardi’s and experienced an earthquake. Being from California, this was weird but in some strange way…comforting.

Now, let me preface the happenings of this game by introducing you to my dear friend, Leigh. I met her on day one, freshman year of college – we lived in the same suite – and we were instant friends. She is quiet yet profound when she speaks. She’s wonderful and kind and SO funny. We are as close as sisters! She’s from Dallas, who brought Dr. Pepper to college because she didn’t know if California had any! The only other time Leigh and I have been to a baseball game together we sat in a family section with NO alcohol…wasn’t the best moment in our friendship, but we’ve since worked through it. This is Leigh’s take on baseball: I hate to see Derek Jeter strike out, but I love to watch him walk away.

So, that being said…the Yankees were losing the ENTIRE game. Offensively speaking, it was very uneventful…which is NO FUN for a semi-baseball fan. In the bottom of the 8th, Nick Swisher hit a 3-run homer to make the score 6-3, A’s. Then Jorge Posada (HIP, HIP!) hit a solo shot in the bottom of the 9th and that was followed by Andrew Bailey loading the bases and walking in a run to make it 6-5, A’s…the anticipation…with a 2-0 count, Swish hits a LONG LOUD OUT to deep center field at the wall and the Yankees loseL!

As we are walking out, Leigh says, “Why didn’t they do this earlier?”…I say, “It would’ve been ok but apparently Nick Swisher only has Warning Tack Power” (she gives me a confused look)…let’s stick with her statement, which was so simple and yet so TRUE!

And that’s why they play the game…

Cowboy Up!
At Minute Maid Park it was more exciting to watch the visiting players walk out of the locker room in cowboy outfits - since this game meant a SWEEP in Texas (and have my picture taken with Corey Hart) - than it was to watch Ryan Braun’s homerun in the first inning or Shawn Marcum taking a no-hitter into the 5th inning. This game didn’t have much to offer as far as excitement.

The park is a neat atmosphere – besides seeing the Twins play the Yankees in 2005, this is only my second opportunity to see indoor baseball. It’s very strange. There was a chance of thunderstorms so they kept the roof closed. The stadium feels confined and small. You know how baseball announcers say when someone hits a long homerun that it looks like the ball went a mile. In this stadium, you don’t feel that way. The only place there are stands in the outfield is in right and right-center…the whole left field and left-center outfield is a glass wall and oh yah, a train, which operates when the Astros hit a homerun…seems like a good use of space?!? Which we never got to see…

Anyway, word of advice – if you order nachos here, just order the regular ol’ nachos…they have this nacho stand that has all this fancy stuff…RESIST!!!

September 28, 2011
This was one of the greatest days in baseball ever (my opinion) – two teams fell from glory by the end of that day…the Atlanta Braves and Boston Red Sox. There is a lot to be said: total collapse, utter demise, monumental embarrassment, but Tim Kurkjian put it best on SportsCenter that night…

“Wednesday night is why baseball is the greatest game ever invented.”



That is why I love baseball…as I set out for the third year in a row to visit three new stadiums, I’m excited to see what lies ahead…

No comments:

Post a Comment