About Me

My photo
I was born in California and spent 7 of the first 10 years of my life moving all over the world because my dad was in the military (including Indiana, Virginia, and Italy). We moved back to California when I was 10. I went to college at Pepperdine University (Public Relations/Marketing major) and worked in LA for nearly 10 years before moving to Ft. Worth, TX in 2009. Right after college I worked in the movie business and for the last 7 years have been working in aerospace (first in finance, now program management). I just recently completed an MBA program at the University of Texas at Arlington. I have a 2-year-old puppy named Matty (lab/husky mix), who helped inspire this blog - read the "Naming the Blog" post. She is the definition of unconditional love!

Monday, August 22, 2011

New York's Other Team


As I sit in Brooklyn, about to eat a sandwich from Court Street Grocers (which, by the way, rivals Primanti Bros), I am reminded of why I love New York SO MUCH! There is no shortage of places to stop in to – grab a cup of coffee, a yummy Italian pastry or a local brew. It doesn’t even have to come from some recommendation. It can just have the right atmosphere or crowd and it’ll draw you in.

On Sunday I made my way out to Flushing, NY to watch the Mets play the Brewers. Citi Field is a nice, new stadium right off the subway. The Mets have one of the more disappointing teams this year and trust me I endured every out despite the frustrating bullpen, the flights from LaGuardia and the intense sun. But their stadium is new and they have a great fan base – they are different than the Nationals fans…they love their Mets and crave winning.

I sat in my seat until end of the 2nd – I had to watch Prince Fielder bat before I went to wait in the long line at Shake Shack. He struck out in his first at bat (but looked good doing so).

I got a single shack, cheese fries and a strawberry shake…YUM! It was worth the wait…

I got back to my seat and it was empty around me…most people had taken cover from the heat, but some had left for the game. The family behind me was already planning their exit…before the 5th maybe they said…if not at least by the 6th inning…how CRAZY! The family in front of me definitely “needed” to leave by the 7th to ensure less traffic. The game wasn’t ½ over and they already “knew” the Brewers were going to win by the way they were planning their escapes.

The Mets battled back to tie the game in the bottom of the 7th with Lucas Dudas’s two-run homerun and no sooner did the bullpen give up the lead in the top of the 8th. The game ended with a 6-2 loss to the Brew Crew.

This visit left much to be desired. It was thrilling to watch Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, David Wright and Jason Bay bat…but other than that nothing too exciting about the stadium or the game. It was weird to have the planes flying overhead every 30 seconds. I suppose you get used to it – the planes and the baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment