About Me

My photo
I was born in California and spent 7 of the first 10 years of my life moving all over the world because my dad was in the military (including Indiana, Virginia, and Italy). We moved back to California when I was 10. I went to college at Pepperdine University (Public Relations/Marketing major) and worked in LA for nearly 10 years before moving to Ft. Worth, TX in 2009. Right after college I worked in the movie business and for the last 7 years have been working in aerospace (first in finance, now program management). I just recently completed an MBA program at the University of Texas at Arlington. I have a 2-year-old puppy named Matty (lab/husky mix), who helped inspire this blog - read the "Naming the Blog" post. She is the definition of unconditional love!

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Isn’t it grand?

I am still beaming with excitement while riding on an Amtrak from Washington DC to Newark, NJ. Last night’s game is exactly why I love baseball (and for the most part sports in general)…because the improbable DOES happen.

The trip from Pittsburgh to DC was difficult – my flight was delayed 3 ½ hours. By the time I got to DC I was tired, hungry and done with traveling. I needed a pick-me-up. I’d get it but I’d have to wait for it…

While walking around the Chinatown section of our Nation’s Capital I was already thinking about what I was going to write about. I was dwelling on a city’s allegiance when they don’t have a baseball team that is worth cheering for (written with a hint of sarcasm). Fans should cheer for the team they choose regardless of the starting rotation, team batting average, payroll or their current division standings. It may make it more difficult if all those things are lousy but still…in my opinion true fans are not fair-weather fans. That being said…DC gets behind the Redskins…regardless. The Nationals, doesn’t seem to have the same draw or commitment from the locals. This observation proved true when I heard the majority of cheers going to the Phillies’ players during the game.

I wore a Yankee hat while I was out and about and at one point I passed a gentleman with a Yankee hat – he nodded at me as if to say: we got this; they don’t know what real baseball is in DC; it’s good to see someone else knows a baseball team when they see one; will you marry me? Yes, I got ALL of that from a nod. The point is…there was camaraderie…an understanding between us and our nods.

As I was walking from the Metro (shout out to Jess) to the Nationals Park the dark clouds above were daunting – the sky was heavy and ready to burst. My arrival at the stadium was greeted with heavy lightning and thunderstorms as well as a 2+ hour rain delay (I liken the rain to a cartoon – where the tears start poring out of a character’s eyes and its as if the crying will never stop).

While taking cover I stood next to a family of Philly fans – the good conversation helped pass the time (Go Blue!). Also, a friend from my Pepperdine days was at the game with one of his buddies – Terrence (the real one, not the one with an “A” in his name but more than that he’s my favorite kind of person: a Yankee fan) and Matt (a Phillies fan who is seldom disappointed in his team has a law degree) – thanks for helping to make the game more enjoyable!

The game seemed pretty much over by the 3rd inning – it was 4-0 at that point and the pitcher who took over for Roy Halladay, Kyle Kendrick, was almost un-hittable – he gave up 2 runs and 5 hits in 6 innings It was 4-2 going into the bottom of the 9th so they brought in one of their closer – according to a Philly fan nearby the approach to closer this season for the Phillies is closer by committee. Last night’s choice was Ryan Madson – who had only 1 blown save so far this season.

Lead off: Jayson Werth – hit single to left after an 11-pitch at bat
Next up: Danny Espinosa – flare to center
One in: Jonny Gomes – single to left, Werth scores (4-3)
Keep the line moving: Wilson Ramos – bunted
Pinch hitter: Jesus Flores – intentionally walked to load the bases
Rally caps: Ian Desmond – single to right, Espinosa scores – tie game
Nerves: Rick Ankiel strikes out with the bases loaded – he had a golden sombrero

Isn’t it GRAND: The at bat was like a No Fear t-shirt - Bases loaded, bottom of the 9th, full count – No Fear!! Ryan Zimmerman with his walk-off grand slam to left sent the mostly Philly-filled stadium home in shock but more importantly he made the few and determined Nationals fans believe in their team on this long, wet and unbelievable night…

He was quoted after the game saying, “The pressures on him, man. It’s not on me. I’m, like, 0-for-whatever against him -- I’m supposed to get out.”

“It’s the ultimate thing,” a whipped cream/Gatorade-soaked Zimmerman said. 

Exactly my sentiments, Ryan! 

No comments:

Post a Comment