About Me

My photo
I was born in California and spent 7 of the first 10 years of my life moving all over the world because my dad was in the military (including Indiana, Virginia, and Italy). We moved back to California when I was 10. I went to college at Pepperdine University (Public Relations/Marketing major) and worked in LA for nearly 10 years before moving to Ft. Worth, TX in 2009. Right after college I worked in the movie business and for the last 7 years have been working in aerospace (first in finance, now program management). I just recently completed an MBA program at the University of Texas at Arlington. I have a 2-year-old puppy named Matty (lab/husky mix), who helped inspire this blog - read the "Naming the Blog" post. She is the definition of unconditional love!

Thursday, August 18, 2011

The softer side of the Steel City

As I sit in Market Square in downtown Pittsburgh surrounded by the Farmer’s Market (ironically) and the sounds of the city: vendors convincing those who walk by to purchase their wares, trucks making deliveries, pigeons seeking out crumbs, and the usual gang of guys sitting around talking (in this case yelling) about things they don’t know much about or perhaps for the sake of yelling…I’m reminded why America is so great…diversity!


If a major city has a “real” downtown it’s usually the true “heart” of the city. Growing up in LA…you mostly went downtown if you worked there or wanted to go shopping at the Flower Market/Fashion District…just recently it’s taken on a more “let’s hang out in downtown” approach. The culture of LA is widespread…every city has its own farmer’s market. It’s diversified yet separate. Pittsburgh’s downtown feels close and united.

Where a ballpark is located helps define the culture of a city. Those near or in the downtown areas have a much different feel than those removed from the heart of the city. PNC Park (I found out last night it’s a bit controversial to what PNC means – it’s either Pittsburgh National Corporation and Provident National Corporation) has a backdrop of downtown Pittsburgh’s skyline…I felt like I was on the set of the Truman Show. It was almost too perfect. You know those nights when you feel like you can reach out and touch the moon? This was one of those nights yet it was the Roberto Clemente Bridge instead of the moon. It was an AWESOME place to see a ballgame.

The Clemente Bridge shuts down so that those coming from downtown can make the quick 5-minute walk to the stadium. Convenient for me considering the view from my hotel room was PNC Park…that is amazing in it of itself – the baseball gods were looking out for me – thanks Joe D, Iron Horse and George Herman!

This is the 125th season of the Pirates…pretty amazing if you ask me. Most buildings in LA don’t last 25 years let alone a franchise with the same name, colors and almost the same logo. Fact: Pittsburgh is the only city where all its sports franchises share the same color scheme.

It was a typical night at the ballpark – dads and sons, Yeungling, pinch hitters (a National League (NL) phenomenon in my opinion). The Pirates didn’t fair too well – they lost 7-2 to the Cardinals – but I stayed until the last out. I love watching Albert Pujols bat. Is that weird? Some at bats are completely benign while others are a work of art. Allen Craig hit two homeruns for the Cards. The Bucs starting pitcher, Paul Maholm, didn’t have it from the first inning giving up 3 runs – a lead St. Louis would never relinquish.

One of the biggest reasons I love baseball is because it’s called the “Thinking Man’s Game” – as an NL manager there is “more” thinking involved. Who pinch-hits – when and how early. It’s amazing to me that on average NL games tend to be shorter than AL games. With all the switches and double switches and substitutes and pitching changes…how can a Yankees/Red Sox game take 4+ hours with only 4 pitchers involved?? Don’t get me wrong when it’s the top of the 9th and the game is tied at Yankee Stadium and Joe Girardi brings in Mariano Rivera, I’m second guessing him every time (at least these days – maybe not so much in 1999). You’ve heard of Monday-Morning-Quarterbacking…so this is like every morning managing…it’s SO easy to be smart after the move has been made and the result is in the books. In addition, it can be very stressful if you watch almost all 162 games. It gets old when you know more than the manager and you aren’t getting paid nearly enough for your knowledge. We all know the phrase: hindsight is 20/20…I think it’s better…20/13.

I love the passion of sports fans who “know” why we lost last night. If you are a sports fan you should know why you lost last night…

ANYWAY, sorry for the tangent…my meal of choice last night was Quaker Steak & Lube (strange, I know) wings and fries. Pretty good…but don’t stray from the hot dog!! It was a recommendation and honestly I wish I would’ve stuck with tradition, but hindsight is 20/13!!!

Off to our Nation’s Capital…

First celebrity sighting: Derrek Lee
Recommendations for Pittsburgh: Primanti Bros

No comments:

Post a Comment